Monday, December 14, 2009

Little Critters















After dropping Carlie off at school last week, the boys and I headed over to TJ Maxx. The boys can be a little bad when we go to stores, so I told them that if they were good we would walk next door to Petsmart and check out the animals. Well the bribe worked because they were as good as gold in the store, so when I was finished browsing I kept my word and took them to the pet store.


We saw birds, fish, frogs, lizards, cats, guinea pigs, and hamsters. The boys couldn't take their eyes off of the 'dwarf' hamsters. Those little things were so cute! They would get in their exercise wheels and run like crazy.... the boys thought they were hilarious! They just sat there and laughed at them the whole time, and it melted my heart seeing their little faces filled with such joy.


It has been a while since we have had a pet. As most of you know we lost both of our dogs before moving in our house and my dear cat Salty was put to sleep earlier this year. It wasn't going to take much for me to 'ok' the idea of a pet, but I didn't want something that would require a lot of maintenance. Clay began asking for a hamster as soon as we left the store! I told him we would have to talk to Daddy about it and see what he says. I called Josh and told him about our experience at the pet store and he said that we could talk about it when he got home. Well when 5;30 came and Daddy was knocking on the door he wasn't alone. He had 2 dwarf hamsters, a cage, some food and treats, and anything else that a little hamster would need!

Needless to say the kids were excited. Carlie picked the one with a little stripe on it and Clay claimed the solid gray one. It was so funny when they were picking out names for them. Clay started out naming his 'I want a pet', then it changed to 'Clay', then 'Putty', and he finally settled on 'Alvin'. Carlie first called hers 'Zebra' but she changed it to 'Marshmallow'.


I'm not sure how much Alvin and Marshmallow like us. They have been staying in their little house a lot, probably wondering how they ended up at our loud and crazy house! I think they'll get used to it though. It's nice having little pets again!

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Goodness!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait to meet the new additions!
    Love and miss you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete