Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Isle of Palms

























After Carlie graduated from kindergarten we headed to the beach with my parents. As I was planning the trip we were originally leaning towards the Gulf coast, but we didn't want to take any chances with the oil spill, so we headed for the East coast. Friends and family were recommending a place called Isle of Palms in South Carolina and we decided to check it out. I am so glad that we did! It was beautiful! I haven't been to a beach since I was a teenager and the kids have never even seen the ocean. They were filled with such anticipation the closer we got, they were practically jumping out of their seats. We unloaded our suitcases, changed into our suits and RAN to the beach. It was just so beautiful looking out to the ocean at God's beautiful creation, watching the waves come in, and listening to the sound of it all. A person could just stare at in wonder and awe forever! I was ready to make the move to South Carolina!

We didn't do much of anything, but again, I could sit by the ocean all day long and not get tired of it! Josh and my Dad went golfing a couple of times. There was a pool at our condo and we spent a lot of time there too. We ate breakfast and lunch at our condo and usually ventured out for dinner. Josh and I went into Charleston one evening for a 'date' while my parents kept the kids. I woke up almost every morning at 6:30 (on my own!) and went outside to have my morning cup of coffee and watch the tide go out. It was so quiet, peaceful and beautiful. We took a couple of early morning walks to see what sort of things rolled in with the tide. The weather was wonderful, we had storms one afternoon and that was the only bad weather we experienced.

I should also mention that we got to know the staff at the Nason Medical Center very well after 2 trips to the Urgent Care. Clay woke up one morning with a very puffy face, itchy neck, and a little rash on his arms. We tried Benedryl, but it wasn't helping so we took him in. He had an allergic reaction to something, no clue what it was, and after putting him on an oral steroid and giving him a steroid shot, they let us go, and he was fine. Those of you who are close to us know that Carlie has a nebulizer and will sometime require breathing treatments when she develops colds.... well I packed the nebulizer just in case she would need it..... and she did! We didn't have enough medicine with us, so I called her pediatrician and they faxed her prescription down to us. After filling it and giving her the treatments, she was still having trouble breathing, so back to Urgent Care we went. They put her on oxygen, gave her some breathing treatments back to back, took chest x-rays, gave her a steroid shot, and put her on an oral steroid. We knew she was feeling better when she grabbed Josh's sunglasses, put them on and sat back in the bed without saying a word. Shortly after we were released and thankfully nothing bad showed up on the x-rays.

Except for the visits to Urgent Care everything was wonderful, and I suppose that I should just be thankful that we had a place to take our kids! It was also a very big blessing having my parents there. They are very hands on with the kids and so helpful to us. They have such a special relationship with the kids.... Mom always says "Christa, some day it won't be cool to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa.... we want as much of them as we can get!".
























No comments:

Post a Comment